ADSM-L

ADSM security

1994-11-03 09:53:34
Subject: ADSM security
From: "David G. Kalenderian" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 09:53:34 EST
We're running the ADSM server on VM (V1R1 0.8/1.8). The majority of
our ADSM clients are using either the Windows, OS/2 or Macintosh
platforms and connect to the server via TCP/IP. My question is in
regards to security. Assuming the server and client are on the same
subnet, and the client starts the scheduler, how can the client be sure
that the server it's talking to is the real ADSM server and not some
imposter saying it's the server? Is there some secret handshake between
the client and server to verify that the server is the real ADSM server?
How easy is it to spoof the client? Does IBM have any plans to support
some type of authentication scheme such as Kerberos?

Dave Kalenderian
Systems Programming Group
M.I.T.