nv-l

Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4

2004-08-18 11:10:47
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8 AT meadwestvaco DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:56:27 -0400

Something to note from our side as well, is everything is centered around TEC.   So even if the local server is informed of the events/traps we could configure that when those events/traps occur to etiher postzmsg or postemsg the event up to the central TEC server to alert our data center.

-Chris Petrina

Our goal is to offload the processingt of the central server thus reducing its polling cycle time (which is 6 minutes right now).   Even if it becomes that instead of a "central" server, we simply have multiple local servers as sites and everything is then fed back to TEC.  To me though that scenario would simply suggest having multiple netview servers at all the major sties, and use TEC as a central point.

Paul <pstroud AT bellsouth DOT net>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

08/18/2004 10:39 AM
Please respond to
nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4

Stephen,
Good call I think that would work leaving only the configuration of the
MLM as a problem. If the server is UNIX, then the MLMs could be
configured via the server itself. As for the traps local vs thresholded
through the MLM I think this could be handled by setting both as
trap destinations?

Thoughts?

Paul

Stephen Hochstetler wrote:

> Paul and all,
>
> Can't we run an 'attended' MLM on Windows? This is where both NetView
> and MLM code is installed on the same box. This allows a local map
> that sees local network and a remote server that sees the corporate
> network. However, if you set a local threshold on that 'attended MLM'
> i think only that local server will be informed of the alert. Also,
> only the UNIX platform has the GUI for setting thresholds on the MLM.
>

> Stephen Hochstetler shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
> International Technical Support Organization at IBM
> Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678) FAX - 512-838-6931
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

service._______________________________________________________________

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster AT MeadWestvaco DOT com.