nv-l

Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4

2004-08-18 10:20:13
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM functionality in 7.1.4
From: Paul <pstroud AT bellsouth DOT net>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:03:51 -0400
Chris,
MLM's do not have maps. They monitor what is on the local subnet
unless otherwise configured to do more. Also remember that MLM
can only poll via ping and not snmp. You can threshold the traps
from the MLM and these can be controlled by MLM and you can
use APM to distribute the profiles to the MLMs. As for the 0 problem that is related to any device that the MLM will be discovering, however this is only related to MLM on NT. I don't believe the same problem affects the UNIX side.

Paul

Christopher J Petrina wrote:

Greetngs all.

I have returned with more dubious questions about Netview and MLMs. I am seeking a means of distributed network management using Netview. I wish to offload some of the processing onto the MLMs that are distributed out to our major sites. At the same time I want those remote sites to have the ability manage their own maps and threshold settings. Can each remote MLM site have its own set of maps? different from those at the central netview box? Also I see need some clarification about the embedded zero (0) issue (IY29719). Does this issue only pertain tot he IP address of the MLM box itself, or does it pertain to any ip address that the MLM will discover?

Netview 7.1.4 on AIX 5.2 - central server

would like to have the MLM running on NT boxes in the remote sites. But can look at running them on unix. I have re read through all the postings here in regards to some of the same issues I have asked adn the responses, only looking for am ore precise answer about the IY29719 issue and if anyone has a suggestion about to to best implement distributed netview environment.

 Thank you
Chris Petrina

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster AT MeadWestvaco DOT com.