nv-l

[nv-l] Re: SNA Daemon Problem

2002-04-05 09:59:21
Subject: [nv-l] Re: SNA Daemon Problem
From: "Bill Evans" <wvevans AT nc.rr DOT com>
To: "NV-L ListServ" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:59:21 -0500
AIX Service Point was the 1990 solution for attaching other devices to the NetView 390 world.  It requires an SNA connection to the mainframe and the two daemons you mention.  It's older than NetView for Unix. The data sent by tralertd (Trap to Alert) on that session is AIX system data or TCPIP data in the form of fault reports (SNA Alerts).  Spappld (Service Point Application) receives commands and provides a RSH or REXEC-like  function across the SNA session.

Multi System Manager took over the function of integrating TCPIP into NetView 390 a couple years ago.  Evidently your predecessor was involved with the precursors of Business Systems Management.  Probably many years ago.

To get rid of this you unregister the daemons.
  • cd \usr\OV\lrf
  • ovdelobj spappld.lrf
  • ovdelobj tralertd.lrf
Bill Evans  --  Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management

Iain wrote:
I am running Netview 7.1 on AIX 4.3.3 on a test system.  I am getting event
raised about problems in the tralertd and spappld daemons regularly, even
though we have no SNA devices on the network.  There event details are
below.

FATAL: tralertd:Unable to make connection to AIX NetView Service Point
FATAL:spappld is terminating (signal -1)
FATAL:spappld is terminating (signal 15)

I do not know what it is referring to with AIX NetView Service Point  and
cannot find any thing relating to it on the system but the system was used
as a test area by my predecessor and he may have installed something.

Can anyone shed any light on how to stop these errors occurring?

Regards,

Iain

Iain Wilkinson
Electronic Data Systems