nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Netview Justification Part II

2002-04-30 18:19:55
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview Justification Part II
From: "Ray Westphal" <westphal AT accessus DOT net>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:19:55 -0500
Herman,
I have 3 production NetView 7.1.1 installations on AIX 4.3.3. I can say the
single most important purpose for NetView is proactive monitoring of the
network. And I don't mean just that pings have failed to site XYZ; I mean
the extensive use of NetView rulesets. Here are some examples:

        T1 and DS3 circuit equipment traps - check circuit status with SNMP
query -
page if down
        Cisco switch traps - security or trunk port status change - page on call
personnel
        Monitoring our Internet provider's hardware - cannot reach router for 5
minutes - page on call personnel
        Changing the color of objects on the map based on traps
        Combine rulesets with event forwarding to TEC
                Open TEC ticket because server at site XYZ sent tape drive
cleaning
required trap
                Open TEC ticket because Compaq server at site XYZ sent drive
status change
trap
                Open TEC ticket because Compaq server at site XYZ sent
temperature warning
trap
                UPS traps
                Application traps regarding broken processes
                Internet problems (i.e. 3 or more "www" sites are down" - node
down traps)
                VPN over the Internet monitoring

This is my short list. I think it is safe to say the rulesets are only
limited by your imagination or maybe your scripting skills. :) If I can
script, anyone can.

Good Luck.
Ray Westphal.