nv-l

Re: CWSI.

2000-01-11 22:06:11
Subject: Re: CWSI.
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:06:11 -0500
That's the 'Error Reading Background File' problem that is common with
add-on apps. Here's the most complete answer posted by Karin Binder
recently...

>> I'm also running AIX 4.3.2, NV5.1.1, CW2000 Essentials and Campus.  I
had
>> problems  opening NetView after applying the CW2000 maintenance upgrade
>> (ver 2.1/2.3).  It seems some of the device packages were incomplete,
and
>> the missing bitmaps caused problems with the NetView GUI (i.e pop-ups
>> galore "error during reading background files" and NO symbols on the
map).
>> I'm not sure if it impacted the web access as I was preoccupied with
>> getting main NetView GUI functioning again.  I'm not sure if you're
running
>> into a similar scenario.  If it is, the following may help.
>>
>> Identify the failing packages by running 'ovw -config' and grep the
output
>> for "Failed".
>> You can compare these results to the files in the bitmaps/C directory.
>> found the base file missing for the 1400 and 8540-csm (zero length files
in
>> this directory can also cause problems). The uninstallpkg utility failed
>> since the major part of the package was missing.  Remove entries for the
>> failing packages in  /usr/OV/symbols/C/CVTYPE and
>> /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym.  Rerun ovw -config (and -fields and -verify
for
>> good measure) - the compilation errors should be resolved.
>>
>> After doing the above, our map once again opens and with the appropriate
>> Cisco symbols.  Likewise with the map from the web browser.
>>
>> Good Luck!

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit
I am running NetView 5.1.1. Worked great.  After loading Cisco Works 2000
( Cisco View in particular ) I get an error message:

This pops up about 30 times and when the map comes up there are no
symbols on it. The event windows shows all the incoming events and
appears to work normally. I tried adding an object but no symbols
appear in that window as well.
Has Cisco works installation altered some of my environment path variables?

Any help or starting point would be great.
Thanks
Faruk Grozdanic