nv-l

Re: Hypothetical Question

1999-02-04 10:42:50
Subject: Re: Hypothetical Question
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:42:50 -0500
I'd consider having another NetView as a backup before I would do anything
this complex.  Then you could configure the agents to send traps to both
NetViews, which would save lots of time.  And you would always know  when
your backup was working.    I know of other customers who in fact implement
3 virtually identical NetViews for exactly this reason (backup) but  they
also found that this allowed them to farm out snmpCollect to the least busy
box, to "stage" in config changes, and a host of other minor benefits.
Duplicate hardware is still the easiest and ultimately cheapest (when you
consider setup time, testing time,  and on going maintenance) backup
strategy.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gast <gast AT MUS DOT DE> on 02/04/99 07:40:33 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>