nv-l

Re: Acknowledging events ( workaround)

1999-01-25 04:48:24
Subject: Re: Acknowledging events ( workaround)
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes AT ATS.UK.EDS DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:48:24 +0000
James Shanks wrote:

> Very ingenious, Pat.   I hadn't thought to mention this kind of idea. There
> is only one catch here and that is that the events are not permanently
> changed.  You can change them for your windows, or for all users, but those
> other users must already have an events window up.  If they don't and they
> bring one up later, they get the original severity.  It is this lack of
> permanence which I don't see any way  around.  But your solution might work
> if the users recognize its limitations and are willing to work within them.
> You wouldn't even have to add a new status (which I don't see how to do, by
> the way) if you used Cleared to mean "this is worked on or doesn't have to
> be").
>
> Another sort of partial solution is to write a script to log a selected
> event to a file.   Then you could use the  "Additional Actions" button to
> fire it off after you had worked on the event.  This would give you a file
> of events now handled, and you would then have to find a way to display it,
> and refresh it, periodically to all interested users.  The man page on
> trapd.conf tells you how to pass a selected event to you your script --
> look at the echo example.
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
>
> "Jones, Patricia A." <PAJones AT RMC DOT COM> on 01/21/99 05:26:14 PM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>
>
> To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu
> cc:    (bcc: James Shanks)
> Subject:  Re: Acknowledging events ( workaround)
>
> A work around might be to add a new entry for 'acknowledged' into the
> Change
> Severity
> pull down context menu.
>
> Events > Options > Change Severity > from all Workspaces
>                                                         > from All Users
> Currently displays:
>                                Cleared            White
>                                Indeterminate    Beige
>                                Warning           Yellow
>                                Minor               Green
>                                Critical              Red
>                                Major                Orange
>
> Once the new entry has been added then the procedure might be to have each
> tech
> change the severity of the events they've worked to resolve. You would also
> have
> to change the Search criteria to include 'acknowledged'.

  Thanks for the replies.

I think we are going to have to replace the NetView Events window as it is not
flexible enough for our purposes. It does not appear to have the same
capabilities as the main window for modifying the menus and incorporating user
applications.

I will email support with my suggestions for improvements to the Events
window. If anyone else has found the limitations a problem perhaps they would
like to do the same.

Thanks again.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK