nv-l

Re: Acknowledging events ( workaround)

1999-01-22 10:46:04
Subject: Re: Acknowledging events ( workaround)
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:46:04 -0500
Very ingenious, Pat.   I hadn't thought to mention this kind of idea. There
is only one catch here and that is that the events are not permanently
changed.  You can change them for your windows, or for all users, but those
other users must already have an events window up.  If they don't and they
bring one up later, they get the original severity.  It is this lack of
permanence which I don't see any way  around.  But your solution might work
if the users recognize its limitations and are willing to work within them.
You wouldn't even have to add a new status (which I don't see how to do, by
the way) if you used Cleared to mean "this is worked on or doesn't have to
be").

Another sort of partial solution is to write a script to log a selected
event to a file.   Then you could use the  "Additional Actions" button to
fire it off after you had worked on the event.  This would give you a file
of events now handled, and you would then have to find a way to display it,
and refresh it, periodically to all interested users.  The man page on
trapd.conf tells you how to pass a selected event to you your script --
look at the echo example.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Jones, Patricia A." <PAJones AT RMC DOT COM> on 01/21/99 05:26:14 PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>