nv-l

Re: Installing a Netview Client

1998-08-14 03:03:56
Subject: Re: Installing a Netview Client
From: Michael Seibold PTS/M-SW <mseibold AT STR.DAIMLER-BENZ DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:03:56 +0200
Hi Diba,

I can't tell you which one is better, but with the X-Clients we have
less problems. But it's true that also the X-Client shows sometimes
different object status on different screens, using the same map. Only a
"refresh map" solves this problem. Some folks from IBM told me that,
when the AIX-Clients were available, some code was removed which updated
the maps of X-Clients (speeking of the object status, to get topology
changes I can accept to refresh the map). I still can't believe that
they really took away this part of the code, but at the moment we have
no other solution than refreshing the map from time to time.

To avoid this problem we use a collection group showing only those
devices where an interface or the node itself is down, but then you need
to have read/write - access to the map to get the changes visualized on
the screen, so we have to make a secondary map of each of our maps for
the network control center, which means a lot of work.

So I am sorry, but I have no solution to this (we are hoping and waiting
for NV5.1 to be better ...)

Michael Seibold