nv-l

Re: Database implementation

1998-07-27 09:33:14
Subject: Re: Database implementation
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:33:14 -0400
Sontaya -

You must first install the relational database, and then install another
Tivoli product called RIM (Relational database Interface Manager), in order
to have a relational database such as DB2 act as a repository for your trap
history, snmpCollect MIB data, or NetView topology data.  All this is
explained in the  NetView Version V5 Database Guide, SC31-8449.  I suggest
you read that book for starters.  It is also available on-line if you
installed the dynatext books.

I should warn you, however, that DB2 support in V5 has some defects in it
that are not fixed until V5.1.  If you are serious about doing this using
DB2 (and it is a lot of work, especially if you have no relational database
now, since you will have to learn how to use it as well), then I would
recommend that you wait for Version 5.1 to proceed.  You can use the time
now to install DB2 and get familiar with it.

Just my opinion.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Sontaya Passakonnirin <sontaya.p AT DCS.PREMIER.CO DOT TH> on 07/26/98 10:28:13
PM

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>