Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup of NetApp (CIFS) with Very Large Number of Files

2014-06-27 16:11:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup of NetApp (CIFS) with Very Large Number of Files
From: joe1871 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:11:02 -0700
Hi,

I use Netbackup 7.5 to back up a Netapp filer.  I have certain volumes on that
filer that have grown exceptionally large - approaching a terabyte per vol, and
one volume holds more than 5 million files, a second has > 2.0 million.  These
are CIFS volumes, with NFS shares as well.  We back them up over fiber using
NDMP.  This has been getting progressively slower, no surprise.

NDMP already does take a snapshot on the filer and uses that to back up the
volume.  That is perfect.  However my backup of the larger of these two volumes
is taking 26 hours plus, and is growing.  Do I have any resource in the short
term?  Is there anything I can do to improve the time this is taking?

Thanks in advance.  I did look this question up, but I did not see any answers
where the user was employing NDMP, hence my question.

JB