Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup of NetApp (CIFS) with Very Large Number of Files

2014-06-30 09:52:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup of NetApp (CIFS) with Very Large Number of Files
From: "Bahnmiller, Bryan E." <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:52:22 +0000
JB,

        We backup filers with NDMP. We have several volumes over 1 TB,
including 1 volume that is about 8 TB. We run 2 backup streams per filer, and
basically give each volume its own backup stream. We are mostly successful, but
the 8 TB volume takes a bit over 3 days to backup. One failure and you miss
that week's backup - no time to retry. But, NDMP backups are just like file
system backups performance-wise, millions of tiny files kills performance.

        The only things that can help performance is fast enough tape drives
and filer head cpu. Most filer heads I have dealt with cannot push much more
than 150 MB/s via NDMP. (We don't have the highest performance heads, so take
that with a grain of salt.) We are using LTO4 tape drives, so running 2 streams
at 70-80 MB's does not tax the tape drives at all.

        The last time we did a head upgrade, we definitely saw an uptick in
performance. But, NDMP has its limitations.

        BTW, if you are using something like NetApp SIS are any kind of
"dedupe" on the filer, the filer has to re-hydrate the data as it sends it out
via NDMP. I'm sure that doesn't help performance, but I've never stopped to
measure it. But that is also something you really need to be aware of if you
have to restore!

        Bryan