Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up SQL and Transaction logs?

2009-10-14 02:21:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up SQL and Transaction logs?
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <J.Keating AT tachi-s DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:17:56 +0100
John
Maybe I am doing it wrong, but this is what I do ...

1) Single .bch file called "SQL_Backup.bch" with the following:
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "<CLIENT>"
NBSERVER "<MASTER_NBU>"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
ENDOPER TRUE

This is created for a policy called "SQL_FULL_BACKUPS". This allows me to do a FULL Online SQL DB Backup of all DB's

Now for the Transaction logs, I do the following:
1) Single .bch file called "SQL_Backup_TXLogs.bch" with the following:
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "<Client>"
NBSERVER "<MASTER_NBU>"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
OBJECTTYPE TRXLOG
ENDOPER TRUE
This is then created for a second policy called "SQL_TX_LOGS" and runs AFTER the full SQL Backup has run (usually 12 hours after the SQL Full Backup Window starts).

I have had to restore SQL from the Full and Logs, and the DBA's have never complained.
I read through the SQL Admin guide to get most of this done.

Does this make sence, or answer your questions?
Simon