Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and Quantum Scalar 50

2009-02-03 17:42:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and Quantum Scalar 50
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:31:12 -0600

It sounds to me like your library is not configured the way you want to use it.

The media access port (MAP/CAP/whatever you call it) is for putting tapes into the library. Typically this is done by opening the port, putting the tapes in, closing the door and doing an inventory from NetBackup. NetBackup will request the library to scan and import any tapes it finds, and then both media databases are updated. It sounds like the library is full, hence your failure message.

I would recommend you verify the library slots are not full. Failing that, you might not have enough slots licensed, or the library slot count is not configured properly. You also could have it configured in a way where the MAP is actually used as a normal tape slot. In this case you wouldn't ever check the box to insert from the access port and just update the inventory (assuming you already had the library inventory updated).

I hope that helps.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

thgreatoz <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

02/03/2009 01:16 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject

bob944 wrote:

> I don't know your hardware, but are you selecting "Empty media sccess
> port prior to updating" in the inventory GUI?
>
> If the Scalar 50 is like some other small scalar that I saw in a demo,
> when you put tapes in the slid-out magazine, a little dialog comes up on
> the control panel asking you to choose between X and Y.  One of those is
> "system," IIRC.  And I think the one you want is the "pushbutton" on the
> right side.  Without doing that, tapes stay in the magazine.

When I select that option, I get
"media access port request reported that the robotic library is full:

                  *** Failed to find an available slot to inject to ***"

whether or not there is any media in either of the passthrough ports.