Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and Quantum Scalar 50

2009-02-03 14:22:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5 and Quantum Scalar 50
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:36:15 -0500
> I have a server running Netbackup 6.5 on Windows Server 2003
> x64, and a Quantum Scalar 50.  I have the robot and both
> drives in the Scalar visible in Netbackup, I can move tapes
> around with the Scalar's web interface, and if I manually
> move a tape into the Passthrough ports on the Scalar, I can
> right click on the robot, select Inventory Drive, and those
> tapes will be added to netbackup.   However, I can't see a
> way to move tapes that I've previously scanned from the Load
> Ports (the magazines on the side) into the drives.  Right
> now, it seems like if I want to do a backup job, I have to
> manually move tapes from the load ports into the two
> passthrough slots, and only then will the robot find the tape
> and load it into the drives.  Is this normal behavior?  What
> happens if I have a job that takes 3 tapes?  Will it stall out?

I don't know your hardware, but are you selecting "Empty media sccess
port prior to updating" in the inventory GUI?

If the Scalar 50 is like some other small scalar that I saw in a demo,
when you put tapes in the slid-out magazine, a little dialog comes up on
the control panel asking you to choose between X and Y.  One of those is
"system," IIRC.  And I think the one you want is the "pushbutton" on the
right side.  Without doing that, tapes stay in the magazine.