Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Unix -> Linux migration

2008-04-10 16:46:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Unix -> Linux migration
From: jmegerman <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:34:22 -0400
I currently run a Netbackup 5.1MP6 installation off of a Sun E450 that's
getting long in the tooth.  As part of investigating my options for upgrading
both the HW and SW, I'm considering moving the master to Linux both for cost
and maintenance reasons (there's very few Solaris systems left on our network).
 One option i'm considering is the possibility of migrating the master to Linux
first, and then worrying about Netbackup upgrades later, so that the concern
about hardware can be eliminted.

I've read that changing the master name is generally hard if not impossible to
do, and that you can't move between operating platforms (UNIX & Windows)
easily, but what about between UNIX (Solaris 9) and Linux (RHEL, probably 5)?
Could I build a linux box named the same as the current Solaris master, install
Netbackup 5.1 and MP6, and then do a complete catalog restore/copy from the
current master?  I know I'd have to reconfigure the tape drives & robot, but
that's fairly simple to do.  My main concern is that if we do go to a new
platform, I don't want to lose the backup history and ease of restoring what we
currently have on tape.

Also, I know it's not considered a good/easy thing to do, but is there any way
at all other than bringing Symantec Consulting Services to rename a master
server?  If so, that would go a long way towards resolving some of the other
issues we face...

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

Josh

|This was sent by jmegerman AT transcontinentaldirect DOT com via Backup
Central.