Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Unix -> Linux migration

2008-04-11 09:35:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Unix -> Linux migration
From: "Chuck Tipton" <tiptonc AT bronsonhg DOT org>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:18:24 -0400
I did something similar late last year.  I migrated an HP-UX master running 5.1 MP7 to Red Hat 4.  I kept the same name and IP.  Our environment is fairly simple, and all targets are disk, so I didn't have to do any tape drive configuration.  I just built the new box with the same name and IP, installed and patched NetBackup, and when it was time, shut down the old box, started the new with the network live, and bprecovered the catalog.  Everything was there and ready to go.  Our plan was to upgrade NetBackup after that, but I let the new system settle in for a few months before I made the attempt.  One note: we did have one user job that would fail intermittently (custom datastore license that a vendor wrote but didn't know how to support) and troubled us for a few weeks.  Symantec finally figured it out with a tcp setting, but that was the only issue we had.
Chuck

>>> jmegerman <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> 4/10/2008 3:34 PM >>>

I currently run a Netbackup 5.1MP6 installation off of a Sun E450 that's getting long in the tooth.  As part of investigating my options for upgrading both the HW and SW, I'm considering moving the master to Linux both for cost and maintenance reasons (there's very few Solaris systems left on our network).  One option i'm considering is the possibility of migrating the master to Linux first, and then worrying about Netbackup upgrades later, so that the concern about hardware can be eliminted.

I've read that changing the master name is generally hard if not impossible to do, and that you can't move between operating platforms (UNIX & Windows) easily, but what about between UNIX (Solaris 9) and Linux (RHEL, probably 5)?  Could I build a linux box named the same as the current Solaris master, install Netbackup 5.1 and MP6, and then do a complete catalog restore/copy from the current master?  I know I'd have to reconfigure the tape drives & robot, but that's fairly simple to do.  My main concern is that if we do go to a new platform, I don't want to lose the backup history and ease of restoring what we currently have on tape.

Also, I know it's not considered a good/easy thing to do, but is there any way at all other than bringing Symantec Consulting Services to rename a master server?  If so, that would go a long way towards resolving some of the other issues we face...

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

Josh