Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Log that tracks tape assignments?

2007-11-19 17:54:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Log that tracks tape assignments?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:35:36 +0000
And a followup...

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 06:34:21PM +0000, A Darren Dunham wrote:
[...]
> Specifally, it tells me that on Friday the number of assigned volumes I
> have went up by 9 in just a few hours and another 10 over the rest of
> the weekend.  Even if no tapes were deassigned in that period, it
> suggests that the system should have assigned a minimum of 19 new tapes.
>
> Problems is, I can't tell which ones they are.  If I view my volumes and
> sort by 'assigned date', , I see only 11 volumes have an assigned date
> of Friday afternoon or later....

Ding... Thanks for the help, folks.  I never did find a log that
contains this, but I did resolve my problem.

The cause?  "Time Assigned" does not necessarily refect the actual
assignment time.  :-)  Thing is, I've known that in the past but I
forgot about it.

I had a long running full backup that began before Friday.  Some new
tapes that were used for the backup were assigned on Friday, but they
were given the date that the backup began (a couple days before), *not*
the time when the assignment occurred.

As an example, I can see a tape that has exactly one image on it (with
several frags).  So I know that only one backup job ever used the tape.
The times on the fragments, the 'time assigned', and the dates on
'bpmedialist' are all identical (Wed the 15th).  But I can see from the
job detail log that the tape was selected at 4:29pm on Friday the 17th!

So sorting by 'Time assigned' doesn't tell the whole story.  :-)