Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup

2007-11-14 16:30:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup
From: "Robin Small" <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:04:04 -0800
I'm pretty sure that if you have a box that does its own backups that isn't
your master, you'd need a media server license.

I think, as well, you could get a San Media Server (or San Server) license
that's a little cheaper than a full-blown media server if it's only gets itself.

It's a pay-for, though.

What kind of speeds are you getting going across the wire? You may want to look
into some performance tuning options instead (which is free, but is still
across the wire backups).

~ Rob

>>> eirebased <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> 11/14/2007 11:45 AM >>>

Hi,

I have search for all the documentation and cannot find an answer for this.

Just got a new job and am new to netbackup and I am trying to speed up the 2
day long backup into a shorter window.

Current setup: netbackup 6.0 mp5 on master server solaris 9.

I am backing up 1Tb over LAN to a dell PV132T tape library with 2 LTO Ultrium.

the 1Tb of data is on a windows 2003 server.

Will this change work?

Direct connect the windows 2003 server by SCSI to one of the LTO drives ( I
have done this connection  and windows can see the drive)

Setup netbackup to use this SCSI connection to backup the 1Tb and thus not
backup across the LAN.

I cannot manage to get the netbackup software to configure this setup. Will the
netbackup software do this or do I need to setup the windows server as a master
server also.  I want to avoid buying licences if I can.

Thanks
Dom