Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup

2007-11-14 16:31:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:13:13 -0500

I believe you need to make your system (the client you are backing up) a media server.
I believe that is a seperate license from Symantec.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

eirebased <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

11/14/2007 03:55 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup

Hi,

I have search for all the documentation and cannot find an answer for this.

Just got a new job and am new to netbackup and I am trying to speed up the 2 day long backup into a shorter window.

Current setup: netbackup 6.0 mp5 on master server solaris 9.

I am backing up 1Tb over LAN to a dell PV132T tape library with 2 LTO Ultrium.

the 1Tb of data is on a windows 2003 server.

Will this change work?

Direct connect the windows 2003 server by SCSI to one of the LTO drives ( I have done this connection  and windows can see the drive)

Setup netbackup to use this SCSI connection to backup the 1Tb and thus not backup across the LAN.

I cannot manage to get the netbackup software to configure this setup. Will the netbackup software do this or do I need to setup the windows server as a master server also.  I want to avoid buying licences if I can.

Thanks
Dom

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.