Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup

2007-11-14 16:36:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.0mp5 newbie question - advice - for changing setup
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:17:37 -0600
On 11/14/07, eirebased <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

Just got a new job and am new to netbackup and I am trying to speed up the 2 day long backup into a shorter window.

Current setup: netbackup 6.0 mp5 on master server solaris 9.

I am backing up 1Tb over LAN to a dell PV132T tape library with 2 LTO Ultrium.

the 1Tb of data is on a windows 2003 server.

Will this change work?

Direct connect the windows 2003 server by SCSI to one of the LTO drives ( I have done this connection  and windows can see the drive)

Setup netbackup to use this SCSI connection to backup the 1Tb and thus not backup across the LAN.

I cannot manage to get the netbackup software to configure this setup. Will the netbackup software do this or do I need to setup the windows server as a master server also.  I want to avoid buying licences if I can.

You can not do this without purchasing licenses.  Your Windows 2003 server is currently a NetBackup client.  Any NetBackup host that directly talks to a tape drive needs to be a media server and these are extra cost.  There are multiple types of media server - one of these is known as a SAN media server and is designed to allow you to back yourself up but no other clients.  That's appropriate if the library is attached to the only server it's backing up.  You didn't say what other NetBackup clients are in your environment.

If you server has lots and lots of little files, it will back up slowly.  Once you've done the usual stuff like make sure your network is performing optimally, you then look at things like FlashBackup (requires the Advanced Client which is extra cost but less expensive than a media server license) or disk staging storage units.  Each one of those will probably cut your time in half - and yes, combining both of those cuts your time in half twice to a quarter of what it was originally.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org