Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..

2007-07-27 08:57:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Kevin Whittaker <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Kevin Whittaker wrote:

> Oh... Sorry about that.
>
> That is the easy part.
>
> Under the Schedule, within the policy, I changed the media multiplexing
> to 1.  The RMAN script starts 4 channels, and sees the schedule says
> only 1 multiplex then it sends them to different tapes.

This is good in a sense, but say you have 10 tape drives for example.  If
you are multiplexing other backups with the DB backups, does the RMAN
policy write with LEVEL 1 multiplexing to separatae tapes and the other
backups still take place for the other (assume MPX=4) 3 levels of
multiplexing on the drive? Or does the MPX=1 job utilize the entire tape
drive?  Does it make sense what I am mentioning?

Essentially you'd want separate tape media IDs for each server but you
still want other servers writing for the other 3 levels of MPX on that
tape.

Justin.