Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unexpected sparse restore of AFS volume using differential-inc method

2007-02-21 15:10:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unexpected sparse restore of AFS volume using differential-inc method
From: lin_osborne at ncsu.edu (Lin Osborne)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:10:13 +0000 (UTC)
All,

We've recently moved our backup infrastructure from NB Ent. 5.0 MP6 driving
dispersed SunStor L9 DLT and LTO-1 units to NB Ent. 6.0 MP4 driving a single
Dell ML6000 (sibling of the ADIC, now Quantum, Scaler i500) LTO-3 library.

I'm now experiencing a problem where NB will restore only the most recent
differential-inc AFS volume image instead of cumulatively working up from the
last full backup through the most recent diff-inc (which based on doc is how I
understand diff-inc restores should work). All necessary tape volumes for the
full through most recent diff-inc are in the library but NB reports only needing
and only uses the single tape that contains the latest diff-inc image. As a
result, the restored AFS volume is sparse; only the files that changed actually
exist. There are referents to the unchanged files, so the names of all other
files are visible, but they don't actually exist in the volume.

This problem didn't occur before the upgrade but I was not involved in
installing/configuring the previous system. I've poked around the new install
and compared with the old but still don't see anything obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks
Lin