Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie volume pool question.

2007-02-13 18:57:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie volume pool question.
From: jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:57:57 -0500 (EST)
SL8500, the problem is the 'infinite' retention pool can easily run out of
control, and therefore separate tape pools must be implemented.  Also, if
you allocate ranges to different types of tapes you can perform metrics on
wear/tear of certain tapes, ie, if you have DB backups that mount 100
times vs. 1 filesystem backup that writes from 1 end of the tape to the
other, obviously you want to cycle the DB tapes more often, if everything
is in one big scratch pool, it makes it much more difficult.  vmquery -a
and check the mounts yes, but it makes it easier IMO to have separate
ranges.