Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backup: Qtree vs Volume

2007-02-13 18:16:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backup: Qtree vs Volume
From: neil at mbari.org (Conner, Neil)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:16:51 -0800
It's a balancing act.  A stream of 1.5 TB creates a single backup image that's
written over possibly many tapes depending on the capacity.  If you have a
media error, the entire backup job has to be restarted (unless things are
different in 6.0).  A restore job could conceivably require all of the tapes to
be loaded to satisfy a request for a single file.

I have a much larger file system and relatively low capacity tapes so I opted
to create separate streams for chunks of qtrees that fit on no more than 2 or 3
tapes.  This means that I have to monitor creation of new qtrees and growth
(easy to script) and then periodically move larger qtrees into a new stream.

HTH,

Neil