Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server

2007-02-09 08:51:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:51:36 -0500
Ouch!

I've been running Netbackup on Solaris since about 1998 or 1999, and as
stable as it is, It's pretty obvious by now that Sun's Sparc
architecture stuff typically doesn't have the PCI bus/bridge bandwidth
that would be most advantageous in a backup env.

the new AMD-64 boxes running linux are insanely fast.

it's taking 3+ Solaris media servers to push the data to a single AMD-64
(Sunfire V40Z) VTL server at any kind of decent rate.

if you were talking about Sun's AMD-64 hardware, and Solaris x86, then
you might be on to something....but I don't believe that's a Netbackup
supported platform as a media server. ;o)

I'm probably going to start phasing in AMD-64 linux media servers,
though I might hang on to my bigger Sparc for the EMM server.

Paul