Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP & SSO

2007-02-09 08:36:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP & SSO
From: spe08 at co.henrico.va.us (Spearman, David)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:36:12 -0500
We have almost the same setup albeit with one master/media and one media
server, including the %$#*)^% Celerra. SSO requires only the license to
implement. Plus a use of the wizard after all your media servers can see
the drives, I am assuming FC here.  The fun part comes with the afore
mentioned Celerra. The drives must be presented to it (if you don't have
an integral drive), then you can use the wizard. Here comes the fun
part. If you have a lot of drives to be discovered the Celerra will
probably time out. Instead of sending you a nasty gram with an error
message it will go into a panic and fail to the backup path. For those
of you who have never worked with this nightmare in a box it requires
resetting the primary path and moving the system from the backup to the
primary. The command syntax is convoluted and your data will be
unavailable for 15 - 30 minutes.

For more info 6.0 has an NDMP user guide, also take a look at Veritas
doc 273511 for more on SSO. There is also an SSO guide out there
somewhere. EMC has doc 300-001-614 (Configuring NDMP Backups with
Celerra and Veritas Netbackup) I will be the first to admit that SSO and
V6 NBU made the whole NDMP setup close to plug and play, and it pretty
much works as advertised , except for the panics of course.

Another word of caution. When you set your backup selections what you
really want to do is login to the Celerra itself (a short version of
linux) and go to
/nas/server/slot_2  and read the file called mount. That will show you
the true backup path to the CIFS server.

David Spearman
County of Henrico