Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault NDMP Linux

2007-01-31 11:22:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault NDMP Linux
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:22:01 -0600 (CST)
Forgive me for not searching the archives first.  NBU 5.1 MP4 Master/Media
on Linux (RHES 4.3).  I have one library with six LTO2 drives, the last
two drives are SAN-attached (no SSO) to a NetApp FAS940.  NDMP backups
work fine.

I understand veritas does not support Linux as an NDMP server for
remote NDMP, so I don't expect it to be able to the read the NDMP tape
when it puts it in the wrong drive.  What I don't understand is why it's
using the wrong drives.  I have specified the NDMP storage unit as the
destination, but I don't see any where to specify a source storage unit,
only a source media server.  I wish there was a way to specify specific
drives when creating multiple storage units on the same media server.

So, it chooses the images, grabs a scratch tape, and mounts the source and
destination tapes in two of the non-NDMP drives.  Naturally it chokes on
the blocksize and fails.

The same thing happens when I do bpduplicate manually.  i.e.
bpduplicate -dstunit netapp01_ndmp -dp NDMPOffsite -client netapp01 -st
FULL -policy NDMP_ftp -s 01/26/07 -pt NDMP -rl 2

The error is:
Critical bptm(pid=14112) attempted to write 0 gigabytes\, 16383 bytes\, it
is not a multiple of 512

How do I get it to use the NDMP drives to duplicate?

TIA
--
Joe Royer / SysAdmin / Digital Motorworks / 512-692-1028

attachments from your system.