Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault NDMP Linux

2007-01-31 12:42:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault NDMP Linux
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:42:18 -0800 (PST)
> Forgive me for not searching the archives first.  NBU 5.1 MP4 Master/Media
> on Linux (RHES 4.3).  I have one library with six LTO2 drives, the last
> two drives are SAN-attached (no SSO) to a NetApp FAS940.  NDMP backups
> work fine.
>
> I understand veritas does not support Linux as an NDMP server for
> remote NDMP, so I don't expect it to be able to the read the NDMP tape
> when it puts it in the wrong drive.

I do.  There should be no problem reading the bits on a tape and
duplicating them (but it wouldn't be able to interpret the bits to
perform a restore).

> What I don't understand is why it's
> using the wrong drives.  I have specified the NDMP storage unit as the
> destination, but I don't see any where to specify a source storage unit,
> only a source media server.  I wish there was a way to specify specific
> drives when creating multiple storage units on the same media server.

Hm.  Can you just do the duplication locally (in the non-NDMP storage
unit)?  It should be faster.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249240 describes possible duplication
procedures (but doesn't go into detail about how to perform them).  I've
a similar setup to you.  The netapp is directly connected to a tape
drive.  But the Linux server can mount it locally after writing and
duplicate it.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com