Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] AIT2 and AIT3 tape drive

2007-01-25 08:15:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] AIT2 and AIT3 tape drive
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:15:57 -0500
Typically newer drives are backwardly compatible with drives of the same
class.

The link here for a Sony AIT3 drive shows it is "Fully backward
read/write compatible with AIT-2 and AIT-1 cartridges."

http://www.dv411.com/sdx700c.html

The answer would be on how you write the tapes.   In UNIX there are
typically device files for the different modes such as density rewind/no
rewind etc....   So long as you force it to write in the mode that is
understood in AIT2 the answer should be yes.  I once investigated this
question for DLT on Solaris and found there were ways to do it so
suspect there probably for AIT as well.  I don't know how to make
Windows use different drive modes though.