Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] adding new tape drives in solaris

2007-01-12 13:51:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] adding new tape drives in solaris
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:51:39 -0500
What process do you guys go through to add new fiber chanel tape drives
under Solaris?

my standard process is as follows:

/> cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev

...gets a view of devices attached to FC controllers, and verify they
all show up similar to the following:

c4::10000000c954e9de,2         tape         connected    configured
unknown

but sometimes things show up like:

c4::10000000c954ea4c,0         tape         connected    unconfigured
unknown

..in which case, I'll run:

/> cfgadm -c configure c#     <- where # is the relevant controller (HBA
port)

then hopefully, everything will come up configured....if it doesn't,
powercycle the device, verify it logs into the fabric, then repeat the
above.

once everything above is complete, I will run...

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt 15 -ml 6  <- which allows up to 6
luns (tape drives) on each controller...typically there's only one, LUN0
per tape drive

I'll verify the proper strings are in the /kernel/drv/st.conf, then
reboot with the reconfigure option.

after rebooting:

/> /usr/bin/rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
/> /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

then devfsadm, or reboot -- -r again.

then sgscan, and config the drive in NBU.

that seems to be the standard process, that *should* work, and does
probably 50% of the time....the other 50% of the time, if it doesn't
work the first try, then I can spend hours upon hours upon hours, trying
to get everything working.

sometimes, all the devices show up as "configured" when I do a cfgadm
-al -o show_FCP_dev, then when I configure the drivers, and reboot,
they're "unconfigured" again, or worse, configured but
"failing/unusable".

then there's the times when everthing show up as configured, and usable,
, the driver rebuild is fine, but devfsadm, or a reboot -- -r only
creates device files for half the drives......it's absolutely
infuriating.

Any advice for easy, reliable, repeatable, stress free device
configuration??????

Paul

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.