Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU

2007-01-12 14:06:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:06:31 -0500
Not sure I agree with you on the comment about competition.  First,
they're more in competition NetApp's de-dupe NearStore, and they're the
main vendor that's helping NBU to move forward with the DSU stuff.
(NetApp's probably a close second and may be a tie.)  NBU is making
their DSU/DSSU stuff better, and will soon be charging for it, and Data
Domain is leading that charge.  Translation: Symantec loves Data Domain.
I don't think there's any support issues to worry about there.

As to being in competition with Puredisk, the two products are actually
quite different and are aiming at two different problems.  Puredisk is
aimed at solving remote backup and DD is aimed at being an inexpensive,
high performance target for all backups.  We'll see how it all plays
out, but I see them being a perfect fit together.  One's for remote
data, and the other is for data center data.  If Puredisk is similar in
performance to other remote office solution's I've seen, I doubt it will
even come close to competing with DD in performance.  BUT, DD costs tens
of thousands per box and you're not going to put one of those in every
remote site if you've only got a 100 GB of data.  That's where Puredisk
would play well.

Just my $.02.

---

W. Curtis Preston

Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS

VP Data Protection

GlassHouse Technologies