Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Only getting 125GB on LTO2 Tape

2007-01-08 10:50:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Only getting 125GB on LTO2 Tape
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:50:30 -0500
I tell my management that anything more than the tape's native capacity
is gravy.  You are not even getting that.  So far my LTO3 compression
has been closer to 50% than the 100% the drives are advertised at.
Backing up mostly Oracle/RMAN Databases thus far and I'm getting just
better than 600GB a tape.  Your 125GB looks closer to LTO1 than LTO2.
Perhaps a driver issue?  Can you put a tape manually in the drive and
run test backups to it sans-Netbackup?  How about putting a tape in and
running some sort of drive management suite from the manufacturer to see
what it says?  You should AT LEAST get 200GB on an LTO2 tape.  That's
1:1 native capacity!

-J