Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Strange speed problem...not the norm

2006-11-02 11:03:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Strange speed problem...not the norm
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:03:07 -0500
Check the status of the NIC before just setting it to FULL.Maybe it was FULL to
begin with and you're just looking at a RedHerring.
Check for CRC errors and link status on the client NIC, server NIC, andevery
switch/router port in between.
If some device is misconfigured, start a BIG ftp, and watch it......thenfix the
network config, and then monitor that to see if it flips back.
In most cases, a duplex problem will only show up if one of two ends
ishard-coded.....hard coding NIC speed and duplex is old
school...GetEVERYTHING....every single port in your environment set to
auto-auto andyour problems will go away.We've slowly got everything here
"fixed"...the only issue we have no isif someone ghosts a new system with an
old image, or someone "fixes" alink on the fly, but there's an old rc script
hanging around that hardcodes the connection again after a reboot.
GigE does not do proper flow control if you hard code...most switchesand NICs
will not allow you to set a Gig connection to "auto-duplex",unless you exploit
a bug, like some Cisco IOSs you can't set Gig-FULL,but if you set 100-FULL and
then change speed to Gig, the "FULL" hangsaround...bug....our network guys were
exploiting that on purpose foryears...
Sorry, that's my auto-neg rant for this month.
Paul
--

> -----Original Message-----> From: veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu > [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf > Of Dave Markham> Sent: November 2, 2006
> 7:20 AM> To: veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu> Subject: [Veritas-bu]
> Strange speed problem...not the norm> > > Has anyone seen this before?> >
> Netbackup 5.0 mp3 Solaris9 connected to L700 via fibre.> > I have a network
> client on a 100Mb network which is beyond > slow backing> up. Looking at the
> gui ( i know not accurate ) details for a job shows> like 127kb/s.> > Doing
> an scp of a 128mb file from master server to the client > is quick <> 20
> secs.> Doing an scp of the same file from client to master it gives > ETA of
> over> an hour, which comes down to like 20-30 minutes. Obviously wrong.> > So
> first thing on the solaris client i did was force the nic > to 100 full>
> autoneg off. Then doing an scp seems to be quick both ways. Great.> > Then
> launch a manual backup off for the client only and the speed is> slow.
> 127kb/s again.> > going back and trying the scp is now slow again from client
> to master> server.> > Whats going
> on?====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.