Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions

2006-10-19 13:08:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:08:34 -0400
So the Nearstore sees the physical tape library and directly copies fromthe
virtual tape cartridges, on a 1:1 basis to the physical carts?
How does the info get passed back to netbackup so Netbackup's catalogknows what
is on the physical tapes?
ie. if your Nearstore sc*ews the pooch, can you get your data off thephysical
tapes without importing them all?
Are your Nearstore vols replicated to a DR site? Or do you use tapeexclusively
for offsite DR?
For the record, I've been averaging well over 30MB/s tape to tape, usingLTO3
drives with LTO2 carts.
What kind of throughput are you getting "into" the nearstore during yourbackups?
We're evaluating RFP responses for VTL at the moment.......
Paul

--

> -----Original Message-----> From: veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu > [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf > Of Liddle, Stuart> Sent: October 19, 2006
> 12:58 PM> To: T H; veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu> Subject: Re:
> [Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions> > > We are currently in the
> process of testing out Direct Tape Copy on the> NetApp NearStore VTL's.> >
> The results we are seeing is that we are getting better than > 50MB/sec with>
> LTO-3 drives writing to LTO-2 tapes.  We can attach up to 3 > drives per 2GB>
> fiber-channel port.  We figure we can do about 4TB/day per > drive or up to>
> 12TB/day for one NearStore VTL.> > Compare that to the very poor performance
> of the > vault/duplication process> which we have found to be on the order of
> roughly 11MB/sec or > about 1TB per> day per LTO-3 drive.> > We are still
> testing and have not yet made the switch over to > this, but> right now it
> looks very promising.  If we do make the switch > we will not use> vault for
> anything except for maybe container management.> >
> --stuart====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.