Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions

2006-10-19 12:58:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions
From: liddles at amgen.com (Liddle, Stuart)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:58:17 -0700
We are currently in the process of testing out Direct Tape Copy on the
NetApp NearStore VTL's.

The results we are seeing is that we are getting better than 50MB/sec with
LTO-3 drives writing to LTO-2 tapes.  We can attach up to 3 drives per 2GB
fiber-channel port.  We figure we can do about 4TB/day per drive or up to
12TB/day for one NearStore VTL.

Compare that to the very poor performance of the vault/duplication process
which we have found to be on the order of roughly 11MB/sec or about 1TB per
day per LTO-3 drive.

We are still testing and have not yet made the switch over to this, but
right now it looks very promising.  If we do make the switch we will not use
vault for anything except for maybe container management.

--stuart