Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions

2006-10-19 14:02:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data de-duplication solutions
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:02:56 -0400

--
> Yeah....there's a way to scan the physical library and the > VTL will create
> a> set of virtual tapes with the same barcodes as the physical>
> tapes....NetBackup will basically not know the difference and > will treat>
> them the same.
Gotcha....Falconstor style.
> > The problem would be if you had not gotten > all of the data> transferred
> > from the VTL to the physical tapes before the VTL > gets hit with> some
> > kind of failure.
Exactly....NBU would think the data is on tape but it's not.

> If you are getting 30MB/sec to tape with vault/duplication, > you're lucky.
I'm writing tape to tape, without "demultiplexing", so I'm essentiallywriting a
whole bunch of 2 gig files (using 2 gig fragments)
> I've found that it is highly dependent upon the image size > and the makeup
> of> the image itself.  If you have a number of small images, you > will lower
> the> throughput of vault.  Also, if you have a large image that is > made up
> of a> number of small files, you will also impact the throughput.  > The best
> case> is a large image made up of large files.
However, an image fragment is a "big" file...the vault/dupe shouldn't belooking
at anything smaller than a frag.
> > Think of it this way....it's like having a couple of > fire-hoses for the
> > data> flow.  One is coming into the media server from the VTL and > the
> > other is> out-bound to the physical tape drives.  Vault/duplication > does
> > not allow you> to simply connect the fire-hoses.  It has to empty the >
> > in-coming one and put> that data into buckets then empty those buckets into
> > the out-going> fire-hose.  Oh....and while it is filling the buckets, it's
> > > doing an audit> to ensure that you have the right number (counting the
> > image > fragments,> etc).  The nearstore VTL will actually connect the
> > fire-hoses > and you get> line-speeds because it's doing the copy at a
> > block-level to > the physical> tapes.
Comes down to what matters to you, I suppose. Many of the VTLs on themarket
will operate like that.Seems all the big analysts as well as Symantec shun the
idea.
> As for the performance into the VTL, we don't really care,
I don't mean on a per stream basis....I mean more on a meeting thebackup window
SLA basis.
Are you getting 1/2 TB/hr? 1 TB/hr?
What about if you have disk->tape dupes running, hitting the disk arraywith a
buttload of reads? Does it impact your backups?
Paul====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.