Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How important is Processing Power?

2006-09-24 04:25:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How important is Processing Power?
From: smpt at peppas.gr (smpt)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:25:21 +0200
CPU speed is important for backups but more important is the ability of the
system to traffic the data from the network to the drives. (I/O traffic). You
must be sure that you are using the capabilities of the system right. Put the
nics and the fiber(or scsi) cards in a separate PCI bus.

BUT the real important consideration in CPU power and memory is the restores.
If you want to restore a system with many small files and you don?t have enough
power you may wait for a long time for the restore to start. This is because
NetBackup starts to seek for the files at the database and compare them with
other files.