Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL images to tape

2006-08-22 15:13:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL images to tape
From: Greg.Hindle at constellation.com (Hindle, Greg)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:13:11 -0400
Good questions that they cannot answer. Enterprise vault was and is not
part of netbackup per se. It was written outside of netbackup and then
"connected" to netbackup. But vault does run outside of netbackup to a
point. So just because netbackup can see the VTL as a tape it does not
mean that vault will see it the same way. If fact there any many things
about vault that I don't like and it is frustrating that the 2 products
don't "talk" to each other 100%. If anyone that uses vault knows that if
you put tapes in your robot and run an inventory, netbackup knows about
the tape being added back into the robot but vault does not know that
the tape was put back in the robot. You have to tell vault manually that
it was moved back or vault ignores the tape, thinking it is still in the
offsite storage area. We had to write a script to work around this issue
as we had over 100 tapes in our L700 that should be vaulted out but were
not, because vault still thought they were in offsite storage. This is
frustrating. I am hoping in a future release that they integrate vault
more with netbackup to fix issues like this.

Greg