Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?

2006-08-18 09:43:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?
From: david.clooney at bankofamerica.com (Clooney, David)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:43:37 +0100
 We put together a system whereas all Incremental would write to a
storage unit group of purely DSU's, obviously we calculated the amount
of data(with retention in mind) in order for the DSU's to never fill up.
Then with the FULL's we had a separate DSSU , that would chug away of to
tape during the day.

The whole high level watermark thing I found to be pants, as when we
first embarked on the staging setup we stupidly believed that a high
waterlevel mark of say 90% would in fact keep the DSSU at a constant
90%. The problem we had was that only once the 90% threshold was
exceeded did duplication kick in to bring the DSSU back down to 90 % .
So you can imagine during  daylight duplication bringing the DSSU back
down to 90% and then in the evening the DSSU would fill up.

This was all fine as we didn't fully understand the high water level
mark. In my opinion the high level watermark should be at 0% as
everything going though the DSSU is destined for another destination
anyway, and with the ability to set windows for the staging schedule ,
why not get everything off to tape asap. Unless of course you want to
use a DSSU as a DSU and whether you are off siteing tapes or not .

Hope it helps.

Dave