Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?

2006-08-20 20:13:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?
From: Aaron.J.Morrison at nab.com.au (Aaron.J.Morrison AT nab.com DOT au)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:13:06 +1000

Hey Peter,

We recently went Netbackup 6 and once we got the media servers to 6 as
well, I set up a storage unit group consisting of two DSUs with manual
duplication scripts.

I have the HWM at 90%.

Some of my backups are failing with 129 errors when directed to the Stroage
Unit group even though one of the DSUs still had capacity.
I thought that if a DSU went over the HWM it would continue existing
backups but no new backups would be sent to it. The SUG should then remove
it from the list while it's over the HWM.

Maybe I am expecting too much from Netbackup but if it's going to fail
backups with 129 errors then Storage Unit Groups are only half there in
functionality....

regards,

Aaron

 (Embedded image moved to
 file: pic31998.jpg)

                                         Aaron Morrison

                             Senior Technical Specalist

        Storage Management

   National Australia Bank

   1/122 Lewis Rd Wantirna
                South 3152

    Tel: (+61 3) 9886 2359
           Mob: 0400104744

     Fax: (+61 3) 98862700
                    email:
 aaron_morrison at nab.com.au

  Please contact Storage
 Management Australia for
       all requests.

             Peter
             DrakeUnderkoffler
             <pcd at xinupro.com>                                          To
             Sent by:                  "Martin, Jonathan (Contractor)"
             veritas-bu-bounce         <JMARTI05 at intersil.com>
             s at mailman.eng.aub                                          cc
             urn.edu                   veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Veritas-bu] DSSU Storage?
             18/08/2006 09:29
             PM

I have a couple of customers using DSSU's in NBU6.  First of all, I do use
storage unit groups
with multiple DSSUs as part of them.  Almost all have "re-used" existing
storage as a general
trend, so the back end storage has been RAID 1 or RAID 5 more times than
not.  The size of each
DSSU depends on what the client profiles, back end storage density and
policy/schedule quantities
and frequencies.  Kind of need to put all that in your brain and make a
best guess.  I have found that
setting the mfs on the DSSU hasn't aided any of the situations I've set up
and in fact
when using multiple DSSUs in a storage unit group, the smaller (512mb) mfs
has better distribution
on smaller sides DSSUs.  Flushing is done only after phase 2 is complete
and successful.  So if
your schedule is not frequent enough, it will not prune out images as there
would still be only
1 copy of that backup image.  Looking forward to next updates when the
volume pool can be specified
at a more granule level instead of all disk staging for that DSSU goes to
one pool.  I've taken
the approach for some customers to have cumulative or incrementals go to
DSSUs and fulls and archives
go strait to tape.  Also, setting the storage unit group usage profile is
something to consider if
you go that route (prioritized, least used and failover).  As far as HWM
and LWM, I've generally
left the HWM default (98%) and set the LWM to sometimes 60%, but that
depends on the available resources
for phase 2 and the frequency as well.  If you want to have the most
possible images on disk for
faster restores, then taking your LWM down to 40% will make that difficult.

Thanks
Peter

Peter DrakeUnderkoffler
Xinupro, LLC
617-834-2352

Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) wrote:
> I'm working on architecting a new backup solution here, which will
undoubtedly require Disk Staging to accommodate faster drives (LTO3 or
DLT-S4.)  I'm sure this is a common way to get around the limited bandwidth
associated with copper network connections.  Anyhow, how big is everyone's
DSSUs?  2x Media?  More?  How about your High Water Marks?  I'm thinking
something along the lines of 50% high water mark with DSSU's 2x Media
(compressed.)  Also, lets say your DSSU gets up to 40% when the backup
window finishes, is there a setting to flush this after a certain amount of
time?  I'm installing 6.0 for the first time here shortly, so all the new
features are presently a mystery to me.

Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu

National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please immediately notify us at postmaster at nab.com.au or by
replying to the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where
this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the
sender and not of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this email does not
take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important
for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s),
you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure
document(s) before making any decisions. If you do not want email marketing
from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to
Unsubscriptions at nab.com.au in order to stop marketing emails from this
sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not represent that this email is free
of errors, viruses or interference.