Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups

2005-09-06 17:52:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups
From: Bill_Jorgensen AT csgsystems DOT com (Jorgensen, Bill)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:52:46 -0600
Ed:

When you say you want to split a Solaris mirror is this using Sun's
DiskSuite, LVM or whatever they call it now?

We use Veritas Volume Manager on our Solaris systems. If you detach a
plex and back that up you will get data that is current to the time of
the detachment. (You would have to backup the block device due to the
state of the plex with the kernel.) When you reattach the plex VxVM will
re-silver the just-attached plex and make the data current. You could
try an incremental, but I am in league with your Solaris admin. I
believe you will need to take a full and then incrementals after. I am
ASS-U-ME'ing a lot too.

Bill

   Bill Jorgensen
   CSG Systems, Inc.