Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups

2005-09-06 20:57:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris split-mirror backups
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
> > SDS/LVM and non-flashsnap VxVM do not support incremental
> > re-establishes.  Flashsnap licensed VxVM does.
>
> Darn. We're using VxVM without the Flashsnap option.
>
> > Of course, both UFS and VxFS support temporary, consistent "snapshots"
> > at the filesystem rather than disk level.  You might prefer to backup a
> > filesystem snapshot rather than mess with the disk mirroring stuff.
>
> There are multiple problems I'm trying to solve.  One involves taking
> down a SAN frame - we're mirrored between frames and will split the
> mirror before the SAN frame outage.  snapshots won't help there.

(Can you use the SAN frame to handle the mirroring and rejoin things
(like smart mirror or BCV technology)?  That could work without the host
having to redo the mirror.)

You might be able to use storage checkpoints.  Those are stable and can
be moved from host to host.  However at this point I'd recommend moving
the conversation over to veritas-vx.

I don't use storage checkpoints much and I'm not certain what the
requirements for them are.

> If I am reading you right, I'm out of luck and I'll be doing full
> establishes.  That hurts :-(

Yes.  The VxVM technology used to be called Fast Mirror Resync.  It puts
a log piece on each side of a mirror that allows things to be reconciled
when the halves are reconnected.  Without that, there's no way to tell
what (if anything) has changed on the target, so all blocks must be
transferred.