Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN

2005-06-08 09:13:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape SAN + Data SAN
From: BarberL AT mont.disa DOT mil (BarberL AT mont.disa DOT mil)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:13:11 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C56C2B.D1E79B9C

In a previous life, I set up the following:

Windows 2k NBU servers single port HBAs 1 to tape SAN one to Disk SAN. We
would snapshot the data and mount the snapshot on the media servers and back
it up. Also our Exchange system had HP EVA disk and a separate HBA for Tape
and we made the exchange boxes media servers to do their own thing using the
exchange agent, so that it would not affect the other data backups. We used
customized scripts that would establish the mirror (EMC) at 1700 and break
the mirror at 2200 and mount the R2 (mirror) to various mount points on the
media servers. The scripts were intelligent enough to check if the R1/R2
were in a syncd state before splitting and mounting and would go into a wait
state if they were not and check again in 1 min intervals. The scripts also
had exstensive logging and email notifications based on various levels of
severity. Based on that it would notify the NOC and/or page the on-call for
the backup team.

The EMC disk SAN went through its own Mcdata switches and the tape SAN was
on its on Brocade switches.
It was a good setup and had fantastic through-put. Granted we were using
Micro$ofts diskpart (SLOW) util to do the mounts and unmounts since the
company did not want to spring for VTS Volume Manager. It would have made it
a lot easier. I'd highly recommend using volume manager for this.

All in all it was a very reliable setup and is still working to this day.