Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows or Linux?

2004-09-02 01:47:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows or Linux?
From: WTSmith AT Maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:47:31 -0400
Thanks to all who replied on and off the list.  I took one of the
suggestions and have done some scripting, especially since it got me
more than halfway complete on another project I've wanted to do: ad hoc,
user driven, manual full and incrmental backups.

I started with a table consisting of, among other things, clientname,
full or incr, linux or windows, along with the corresponding policyname
and schedule name. It is used by a script that accepts the 1st 3 items
as parms and initiates a backup with bpbackup, after verifying the
client and appropriate platform are up using bpgetconfig.

For my machine that can't decide whether its Linux or Windows, I just
run the script at key times during the week, scheduled with cron.

For my clients that need ad hoc full and incremental "manual" backups, I
now have a little we page that invokes the above script after a little
parameter checking.  I still think NetBackup should support client
initiated manual backups, but this does the trick for now.

Thanks again, for everyone's help and ideas.    cheeers, wayne