Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] File ownership on restores

2004-09-02 09:21:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] File ownership on restores
From: dcarlisle AT paychex DOT com (D Renee Carlisle)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:21:50 -0400

--------------4989CFE4A81C03E9FED2A83B

We are having an issue with client restores that I need help with.  We are
running 4.5 FP5.  We are finding two serious problems.  We are using the
auth.conf file to grant non-root admin access to users, say user1 and having
them do the restore from the client not the media server so we can limit
them to restoring only to systems they can access.

However, we are finding that when they try to restore to that system, they
are getting errors that they do not have permission to restore to some
directories - problem 1.

Second, when they do restore files, the files end up being owned by user1
instead of the original ownership from the backup.  This is a huge issue
when we are trying to recover a system.  Is there a parameter similar to
"KEEP_ORIGINAL_ATIME" that would allow us to keep original ownership?  Once
we grant non_root admin, shouldn't they have access to restore anything on
that system?

 Please help, this is blowing all of our Internal Controls for SOX out of
the water.

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or any employee or agent responsible for delivering
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.     Thank you. Paychex, Inc.

--------------4989CFE4A81C03E9FED2A83B

begin:vcard
n:Carlisle;Renee'
tel;work:585-216-0497
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Paychex, Inc.
adr:;;675 Basket Road;Webster;NY;14580;
version:2.1
email;internet:dcarlisle AT paychex DOT com
title:Sr. Systems Administrator
fn:Renee' Carlisle
end:vcard

--------------4989CFE4A81C03E9FED2A83B--