Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FC L180 woes

2004-01-15 03:59:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FC L180 woes
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:59:26 +0100 (CET)
Hi Kevin,

A few suggestions,

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
-----------------
Make sure you have a file called
 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
with a single number of "262144" in it.

This file controls the the blocksize used to write to the tape drive. LTO-2
needs a blocksize of "262144" (aka 256K) to achieve it's max. performance of
35MB/s.

Multiplexing
------------
Most clients are not able to deliver 35MB/s over the network to your
backupserver. Multiplex streams from multiple clients to fill up a tape drive
by setting:
 - MPX of 4 in the storage unit definition
 - MPX of 4 in the schedule

st
--
st is Solaris's "SCSI tape" driver. Sun delivers proper defaults for supported
configs hardcoded in st. Thus, do not modify st.conf and make sure you have the

Incoming
--------
Make sure enough data is comming IN to make six LTO's happy. 6 x 35 = 210MB/s.
This needs 4 to 5 gigabit ethernet's trunked or balanced. If you use SSO, make
sure the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS file exists on all of your media servers (ehhrm
clients).

large # of files
If you have clients with a large number of files, consider the bp.conf setting
  DO_NOT_RESET_ACCESS_TIME = 1

Hth, Joost

--
Long may you run.