Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Size of NetBackup Catalog

2003-09-08 17:45:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Size of NetBackup Catalog
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:45:57 -0700
As far as size, you will have no problems at 35GB.  Well, no problem if
everything else is good - I'm assuming you have an adequate system, RAM,
fast disk, etc.  What you have your "compress after X days" also plays a big
role, as browsing compressed files is considerably slower.

We use the two-stage method to put our catalog on more than one tape.  It
might fit on one tape (it's close to the LTO-1 limit) but using the
two-stage method is better for Vaulting.  When Vault runs in the morning, it
just has to run an incremental, rather than backing up the whole catalog.

The two-stage method can scale to any number of tapes.  It is described in
the 4.5 manual.

--
 Drew Fabbro [fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com]
 Unix Systems Group