Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups with alternate client restore

2002-07-11 15:48:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups with alternate client restore
From: Steve Kappel <steve.kappel AT veritas DOT com> (Steve Kappel)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:48:49 -0500 (CDT)
Sorry, this is not possible.  NDMP is a control mechanism.  It does
not define the format of the actual data.  Each NDMP server vendor
implements whatever format they want.  NetApp is a variant of dump.
Some others are tar or pax.  Some are cpio.  Some are completely
proprietary.  So restores will only work to compatible clients
which, with NDMP, generally means that same product.

I believe NetApp does support recovery of their dump tapes to
Solaris systems using ufsrestore.  If I recall, some of the
attribute information is lost (CIFS stuff).  Since NetBackup
NDMP wraps the NDMP data on the tape file with headers, it
is necessary to position the tape past the initial 2 blocks
before using ufsrestore.

EMC may support some native recovery command as well.  I don't
know.

NetBackup NDMP cannot be used to restore a NDMP backup to a
non-NDMP device.

John D Stephens wrote:
>You'll have to try the restore to the Netapp from the IP4700.
>As long as a NDMP device restores to a NDMP client, it might
>work.  Let us know if it works! I don't have your specific
>hardware to test it myself.
>
>The NDMP dump of a Netapp filer is a standard Solaris file
>system dump with NDMP header information on the tape.  Therefore,
>you can use a Solaris system to do a "restore" to read the tape and
>NFS write to the Netapp, this is Netapp's DRP solution. Check
>the Netapp manual for further details.  I had to do this once
>in my backup lifetime.
>
>However, NBU must have a NDMP client to restore to.
>Solaris is NOT a supported NDMP client.
>

>john
>
>> Craig Everett wrote:
>>
>> Here's an interesting question: If you're running NDMP backups of an EMC
IP4700 with 1 tape drive using Netbackup 3.4.1, is it possible to take backups
from the IP4700 and
>> restore it to a NetApp 8xx as an alternate client restore? I've got a
customer who has an IP4700 at a production site and a NetApp 840 at a standby
site and wants to use the
>> NetApp as a possible DR box for his IP4700 using Netbackup to do restores to
the secondary site. Is that possible or does the file system on each platform
require you restore to
>> a like platform (i.e. waffle file system on the netapp)?
>>
>> Also, In the same light, can you restore NDMP backups to "standard" backup
client, like a sun solaris server as an alternate client restore?

>> Thanks
>>

>> Craig Everett
>> ASG Professional Services
>> Senior Consultant
>> ceverett AT virtual DOT com
>> 619-917-6030
>> www.virtual.com

>> FYI:  INFORSTOR article written by Craig Everett, senior storage consultant
at ASG
>> "Software versus hardware replication for disaster recovery"

http://is.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=D
isplay&ARTICLE_ID=146708